Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Book Review: Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

Review: Bloodfever
Series: Fever – Book 2
Author: Karen Marie Moning
No of Pages: 337
Release Date: 16 October 2007

MacKayla Lane’s ordinary life underwent a complete makeover when she landed on Ireland’s shores and was plunged into a world of deadly sorcery and ancient secrets.

In her fight to stay alive, Mac must find the Sinsar Dubh – a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over both the worlds of Fae and of Man. Pursued by Fae assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she cannot trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and irresistible men: V’lane, the insatiable Fae who can turn sensual arousal into an obsession for any woman, and the ever-inscrutable Jericho Barrons, a man as alluring as he is mysterious.

For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of the humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them...

My Thoughts:

Back into the world of MacKayla Lane and this story just keeps getting better.

Mac is still seeking revenge for her sister, refusing to quit until the man that murdered her is dead. She is also coming into her powers now as she discovers what else she can do. With her spear at her side and Barrons mostly at her back she feels pretty safe within the walls of Barrons Books and Baubles.

Mac is just getting better as she continues in her search for OOPs (Objects of Power) and as she tries to develop her own budding powers as a sidhe-seer. Part of her is still that girly, pink loving, southern belle but a new side to Mac is now emerging, the blood thirsty battle hungry Mac that enjoys getting into fights and - shock horror! – Not accessorising properly. What I love about Mac is that she takes everything in her stride yet can still feel. She isn’t made of stone but she doesn’t fall into a ball of crying nerves every time something new is thrown at her. Mac is real, well as real as whatever she is can get.

Barrons is still mysterious, but he is getting more and more likeable as this series progresses. We still know absolutely nothing about him but I can safely discern that he does have some sort of growing affection for Mac. Barrons is the kind of character that you really can’t trust, but you know who will back you up – when he has a use for you. I am still very uneasy about his character and plans for Mac, but he does occasionally flash his manly, protective, alpha side which does give cause for great speculation on where their story is going to go.

The thing I love most about Bloodfever, and now that I think about it Darkfever as well, is that the story doesn’t have to be running at 100 miles an hour just to keep you interested, about one hundred and fifty pages in I was wondering what had actually happened so far, and then I realised so much. Deals with Fae, deadly auctions and more insight into Mac’s past and her powers. But I didn’t need to be kept on edge all the time to be coming back for more.

Bloodfever is by no means boring, it is interesting, engaging and won’t let you go. But it also moves at a normal pace which is something I am not used to and I think needs great talent to achieve. I want to know what happens to Mac, but I don’t feel like I am going to die if I don’t find out straight away because I want to know how she gets there. I want to discover the Fae with her and her powers but I don’t want to rush and that’s what this series gives me.

Bloodfever is a great instalment to this intriguing series and I can’t wait to get my hands on Faefever.


Also in this series:
Darkfever
Faefever
Dreamfever
Shadowfever

1 comment:

Alyssa Kirk said...

I keep hearing such good things. I've got to pick up this series!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails