Thursday, February 18, 2010

Book Review: Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder

Review: Fire Study
Series: Study Trilogy – Book 3
Author: Maria V. Snyder
No. Of Pages: 441
Release Date: 1 December 2009

THE APPRENTICESHIP IS OVER – NOW THE REAL TEST HAS BEGUN

When word that Yelena is a Soulfinder – able to capture and release souls – spreads like wildfire, people grow uneasy. Already Yelena’s unusual abilities and past have set her apart. As the Council debates Yelena’s fate, she receives a disturbing message: a plot is rising against her homeland, led by a murderous sorcerer she has defeated before...

Honour sets Yelena on a path that will test the limits of her skills, and the hope of reuniting with her beloved spurs her onward. Her journey is fraught with allies, enemies, lovers and would-be assassins, each of questionable loyalty. Yelena will have but one chance to prove herself – and save the land she holds dear.

My Thoughts:

Once again we jump straight back into the story of Yelena. Fire Study is the conclusion to this epic tale.

Yelena is a soulfinder, which is good – compared to a soul stealer, which is bad. Her magic training is pulled up to an abrupt halt when the world falls into peril and it is up to Yelena to save it.

This time around though she has much more assistance from her “heart-mate” Valek, who is with her for much of the tale, but the secrets she’s hiding about her powers drives a wedge between them which they also need to sort out.

Yelena has grown since we first met her chained in the dungeon in Poison Study, she has learned to fight, partially use her magic – she really isn’t that good – and find out who she really is as a person, as a part of a family, as part of a partnership and as part of a community.

Fire Study in my opinion did not live up to the standards its predecessors set. Fire Study seemed rushed and a little too heavily fleshed out with travel and scenes that didn’t really seem to connect with the story.

It was obvious who the mastermind behind all the treachery was but it was still interesting to find out how we get to the realisation of whodunit. Everything ties up nicely and it is easy to imagine how Yelena will spend her days in the future.

I was disappointed somewhat with the other worlds and their descriptions, for something that was played upon so heavily in the second and third books I felt it was skimmed over, not detailed enough and if I didn’t put two and two together and fill in the blanks it would have seemed a waste of a couple of chapters.

Of course Fire Study is a must read to finish the epic trilogy, but it wasn’t a book I was itching to pick up in every spare moment of my time. Granted I read it in three days, but that is a big difference compared to the two earlier novels which were each read in one.

Snyder is a talented writer and I will definitely be picking up her Glass Trilogy which is out this year and is a carryon of the study trilogy from Opals point of view. Opal is a student at the Citadel.
Others In this Series:
Poison Study
Magic Study

Others who reviewed this:
Holes in my Brain



3 comments:

Shweta said...

I loved this book a little more than u :) This is my all time fav series so I am totally biased . You should read Glass Series , both the books are awesome.

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

hmm..Have not heard of this one.. Yes I live under a rock

Simcha said...

While I really enjoyed Poison Study I found Magic Study to be a lot less interesting and I Fire Study really didn't capture my interest, and I never ended up finishing it. I guess that aspects of the story that appealed to me in Poison Study were missing from the rest of the series, which was a shame. Thanks for the review!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails