Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Two Cents: Audiobooks

What is your stance on Audiobooks?

Mine is simply this: I'm not going near them, because listening isn't reading.

Now usually I am very open minded about pretty much everything; genres, formats, publishers but when it comes to the audiobook format, I just can't do it.

The Taste of Apple review recently went up and it was a multi-media novel, with music accompanying the words and occasionally, the words being read too. Now as you know I really enjoyed the experience, the added dimension of sound with the visual created by the words on the page, but it got me thinking about audio books as well.

And I came to this conclusion: Listening isn't reading. Listening to a story is fine, I'm not saying that it's wrong, but I just can't do it. If I'm listening to something I have to concentrate on I will usually close my eyes to visualise, so as soon as there's a lull in the story...I'll probably go to sleep.

Harry Potter for example was and still is one of my favourite series of all time, I will never get sick of it even during the many re-reads and movie marathons. But when I had a copy of the audio books as a young teenager I used to literally use it as my bed time story to help get past my insomnia.

I couldn't listen to it for more than 10 minutes without going to sleep.

I suppose for me sound isn't a strong sense in the way of visualising things. Being a muso of sorts and having very accurate pitch when I think sound, I think music...not stories.

I wouldn't have been good around the times before books, when stories were passed down by word of mouth...I would have been asleep through most of them.

What about you?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails