Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Two Cents: The Only Rule of Blogging

I have only one rule when it comes to blogging - do not read any reviews of a book you already have.

Which basically means that if I have already bought, read or half-read a book I will not read any reviews from the time I buy the book to the time I post my own review.

Simple really if you ask me....

I accidentally just broke that rule. I was reading a blog and along comes a review of a book I have recently finished but not yet reviewed. I read the first line of the review...

What happened?

My opinion of the book changed. With that one line, I was put into a different perspective.

This I believe is wrong, and is also what causes plagiarism.

You think to yourself "it'll be ok, just see what they thought..."

Which turns into "Hey! They make a good point! I now love/hate [insert book title here] too! They are so right, I can't believe I didn't see it before!

So now I have a dilemma, to review or not to review. I am going to sleep on it and see how I feel about this tomorrow. If I go back to my old opinion I will write the review. If not...then I probably won't write the review :(

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's similar for me ... but for me it starts basically when I know that I'll be picking up the book soon and until I've written the review. In the meantime, I'll just note down the links and come back to it after I've written mine.

Holly said...

I have a lot of silly blogging and reading rules but I've never had any trouble checking out reviews before I've actually read the book.

Do you check out reviews before buying a book? I pretty much use these to gage whether I should get it or not.

I have been influenced badly by reviews before though, sometimes I'll read that the book is full of awesome and then my expectations are raised so I really end up enjoying the book less because I was expecting it.

Monster of Books said...

This never happens to me. Usually my thoughts stay the same after I read and a book and review it, even if I've read another review of it.
But if there's something I agree with I'll credit the blogger who said it and say I agree.

What book??

Wings said...

@bookmonster - nah i dont want to say just in case hehe.

seeing as i am very opinionated i usually keep my own opinions regardless. i do this just in case. because i am also very open minded i can see exactly where other people are coming from...which is not good hehe

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails