Saturday, January 23, 2010

Book Review: Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost


Review: Destined for an Early Grave
Author: Jeaniene Frost
No. Of Pages: 355
Release Date: 28 July 2009

HER DEADLY DREAMS LEAVE HER IN GRAVE DANGER

Since half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her undead lover Bones met six years ago, they’ve fought against the rogue undead, battled a vengeful Master vampire, and pledged their devotion with a blood bond. Now it’s time for a vacation. But their hopes for a perfect Paris holiday are dashed when Cat awakes one night in terror. She’s having visions of a vampire named Gregor who’s more powerful than bones and has ties to her past that even Cat herself didn’t know about.

Gregor believes Cat is his and he won’t stop until he has her. As the battle begins between the vamp who haunts her nightmares and the one who holds her heart, only Cat can break Gregor’s hold over her. She’ll need all the power she can summon in order to bring down the baddest bloodsucker she’s ever faced...even if getting that power will result in an early grave.

My thoughts:


Far out! This series is absolutely AWESOME! Jeaniene Frost...I love you!

Once again we are thrown straight into the thick of it, beginning in Cat’s dream of a mysterious blonde vampire (not Bones) who is calling to her and a monster chasing her. Once again I love these books so much because of the lack of three pages worth of history we just go straight into it.

Cat and Bones want to relax, go on a holiday, and get away from the daily threat of dying for a little while.  Of course any normal person who goes for a holiday to Paris would be absolutely fine, but we’re not talking about normal people now are we. Cat and Bones inevitably get attacked and the veil of Cat’s dreams is lifted. Cat has a husband, excellent! Just a slight technicality though, it’s not Bones...

Bones of course being Bones will not let this other guy get in his way so of course a war of sorts is called. Cat wants to stay with Bones; because she can’t even remember who this other guy is (we have Mencheres to thank for that).

Speaking of Mencheres those of you that have read the previous three books (which I highly recommend) know what he’s like, he’s uptight and formal and very traditional. So to hear him say this:

“The shit’s gonna splatter, start buggin’ yo.”

Had me in fits of hysterical laughter, I had people coming into my room to see what was so funny I was laughing that loud. I don’t normally quote books, but that is absolutely classic! I had to put it in.
Vlad (as in, Dracula, yes the Dracula) also made a reappearance, and once again was absolutely superb.

As was the addition of Fabian, the lonely ghost. Fabian is so cute! Cat took him in because she enjoyed talking to him. Bones compared him to a stray dog. And proved to be an invaluable addition to the cache of characters.

I will say now that it is no secret that Frost is going to give Cat and Bones their Happily Ever After, she’s said that herself. Keeping that in mind was the ONLY thing that kept me from getting depressed whilst reading the pages of this book, knowing that they would somehow come through it kept me reading, because the way Frost writes and some of the things that are said by the characters had me nearly in tears. My heart was breaking for Cat and Bones during this story.

To say that I read this book in a day would be an understatement, more like I devoured it in a couple of hours it is that enthralling and that good. This series is a constant rollercoaster ride that I am happy to admit to being completely addicted to. I dream about these stories, Cat and Bones are so well written and thought out that my imagination is inventing new scenarios to keep me occupied (and on the Bones high) while I eagerly await the next book.

This entire series is a definite must read.

5/5

Others in this series:

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I've not read any of the books in this series yet but I've heard a lot of great things about this author. I'm really going to have to get these books!!

Wings said...

I swear they are so good, i think its impossible to knock them off my favourite books of 2010! they are just that good. can't wait for the next ones :)

ParaJunkee said...

I love this series, I have yet to move onto book 4 - can't keep track of the names though to many destined and graves...but they rock. Ok, I should be on your TC widget with this comment. Let's see how long it takes to update... Parajunkee

Sarah said...

I am absolutely loving this series!! I love the quote you picked from Mencheres - I burst out laughing when I read that in the book :o) I'd already linked to your other reviews for this series but for some strange reason I'd missed this one!

Have you started any of the Night Huntress World spin off books yet? I haven't read them yet but they are high on my wishlist & I'm looking forward to reading them while I wait impatiently for my next Bones hit :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails