Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Book Review: Shadowfae by Erica Hayes

Review: Shadowfae
Series: The Shadowfae Chronicles – Book 1
Author: Erica Hayes
No. Of Pages: 267
Release Date: 13 October 2009

Imagine a secret world veiled in fairy glamour and brimming with unearthly delights. A city swarming with half-mad fairies, where thieving spriggans rob you blind, beautiful banshees mesmerize you with their songs, and big green trolls bust beads at nightclubs. And once you’re in, there’s no escape...

Enslaved by a demon lord, Jade is forced to spend her nights seducing vampire gangsters and shape-shifting thugs. After two hundred years as a succubus, she burns for freedom and longs to escape her brutal life as a trophy girl for hell’s minions. Then she meets Rajah, an incubus who touches her heart and intoxicates her senses. Rajah shares the same bleak fate as she does, and yearns just as desperately for freedom. But the only way for Jade to break her bonds is to betray Rajah – and doom the only man she’s ever loved to a lifetime in hell.

My Thoughts:

Shadowfae was as interesting as it was hot.

Jade is your perfect gritty character. She was a nun who has pretty much turned into a paranormal crack-whore. To live she needs to feed off the energy of a person’s climax and the energy of her demon master, Kane.

Our story is set in Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne is infamous for it’s dangerous night life and gang land wars. According to Hayes, a lot of the side gangs and drug runners are supernatural beings. We see their stories unfold in the Chronicles to come. But for now it’s focused on Jade the succubus.

As soon as Kane wills her to do something, she must do it because of the bands that circle her arms, she is indebted to Kane for a thousand years, after which, she will die. For Jade it is a lonely existence because she hates Kane for his part in what she has become.

Enter Rajah, her sexy rival who is an incubus, for Jade to be free Rajah must die, but can she kill the man she is beginning to love? Rajah is sought after by nearly as many who want Jade as he himself wants her.

Together they embark on a journey to freedom and also to each other. Only they know what it feels like to be indebted to Kane and so they find solace with eachother.

Shadowfae was a hot read, the intimate scenese between Jade and her patrons had an edge of darkness to them, whilst her and Rajah made the pages steam with the intensity of their joining.

I love how the book flowed smoothly, even though we were constanly changing characters between Rajah, Jade and Kane. For Kane being such a bad guy, i started to like him aswell, with his vulnerability and soft-spot for Jade.

The trip into the Supernatural underworld that lies beneath the lights of Melbourne was intriguing, it’s like a paranormal Underbelly, but better. The scenery was vivid and detailed without taking time out from the story, everything just flowed together and it was an intense read.

I will definitely be picking up Shadowglass as I would love to read the next chapter in the life of Melbournes supernatural crime.

Others in this series:
Shadowglass

Available at:
Amazon
Book Depository


4 comments:

Beverly said...

Thanks for the review! My boyfriend bought me Shadowglass for my birthday because I read a lot of paranormal and he liked the cover (he never even read the blurb!) I guess I should be thankful for the "hot chick" on the cover because it sounds like this is a great series. I just ordered Shadowfae from Amazon so I could start with book one. After your review I will be checking the mailbox!

Lola said...

I am glad you liked Shadowfae! I really enjoyed it as well. I am anxious to read your thoughts on Shadowglass. :P

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

NIce review! I liked this story as well though it did have me clutching my heart a little bit. You can read my review here...

I'm looking forward to Shadowglass and hope that we still see Jade even though the focus will be on another couple.

Miranda ~ Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Diana Dang said...

Sounds like the sexy read I need to get! Thanks for the review!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails